This program has ended.

VCAAP is no longer accepting applications as of October 2021. There are several other programs to help customers with water/sewer bills:

The Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) can provide water/sewer bill assistance to eligible households with overdue bills. Find info at

The Vermont Emergency Rental Assistance Program for Utility Services (VERAP-U) can provide water/sewer bill assistance to low-income residential renters. Find info at

The Vermont Homeowner Assistance Program (HAP) can provide water/sewer bill assistance to homeowners. Find info at

There is a second round of funding available through the Vermont COVID-19 Arrearage Assistance Program (VCAAP II). The first round was available in November/December 2020. 

VCAAP provides financial assistance to help residential and non-residential customers pay overdue utility bills, including water, sewer, and stormwater. The state of Vermont allocated $15 million of federal COVID relief funding to the second round of VCAAP.

The application portal opened July 21 and will close October 25, 2021. Applications will be funded on a first-come, first-served basis.

The program is run by the Vermont Department of Public Service. Find more information at

VCAAP II will use ReFrame Housing as the vendor portal. There will be a training on how to use this portal in early August. Check back for more information.

View PowerPoint from July 15 information session


If you are a customer with an overdue bill…

Apply for assistance at

Find information at

Call ReFrame Housing for customer support at 833-295-8988 (toll-free)
M – F: 8:30 am –7 pm
Sat: 9 am – 1 pm

How to use the portal — for utilities


Read this guide for step-by-step instructions with screenshots.


1. Go to the ReFrame portal at

2. Enter your email and create a password

3. Register using the exact name on your W-9 or from the vendor list locate here

4. Enter 9999 as your Tax ID

5. Send your W-9 and direct deposit (ACH) information to with W9 as the subject. (If you have provided this information in the past 12 months you do not need to provide it again unless there has been a change.)

6. Verify all information is correct and click Confirm.


Reviewing Customer Applications

1. Login to the ReFrame portal at

2. Click on the Unit Certifications icon in the left hand navigation menu to see a list of customers who have applied for funds.

3. Complete the questions for each applicant and then enter a payment request for the total amount due in arrears since April 1, 2020.

5. Complete the Certification Page and click Submit.

6. The VCAAP Caseworker will review your requests and schedule payments.

 For assistance, toll-free call center is 1-833-295-8988. The center is open from 8:30 am to 7:00 pm, Monday through Friday, and 9:00 am to 1:00 pm on Saturday.


Customer Eligibility

Customers who have experienced economic hardship due to the COVID-19 can apply for funding to cover utility bills that are at least 30 days overdue for services from March 1, 2020 to present. Applicants do not need to provide proof of economic hardship or utility bills.

Residential customers (both renters and homeowners) can apply for assistance for their primary residence. Businesses, including farms, can also apply for VCAAP assistance. Low-income renters are encouraged to apply for Vermont Emergency Rental Assistance Program (VERAP) first.

Customers must apply online at


Customer Outreach

The utility customer application is

There is a call center to answer applicant questions.
Call (toll-free) 833-295-8988
M – F: 8:30 am –7 pm
Sat: 9 am – 1 pm

DPS has put together posts that you can use for social media, Front Porch Forum, and radio ads. Download template here.


Note on Disconnections

The Public Utility Commission has issued an Emergency Disconnection Rule that applies to PUC-regulated utilities. The rule can be found here. This only affects 20 privately owned water systems.

Public water/wastewater systems are not affected by this rule. The shutoff moratorium for  water and wastewater expired on June 16, 2021, at the end of the state of emergency. Public water/wastewater systems can disconnect users following Vermont statues, which can be found here.