The Department of Public Service and Vermont State Housing Authority have $12.7 million available to assist renters through the Vermont Emergency Rental Assistance Program for Utility Services (VERAP-U). Water and sewer bills for eligible renters or landlords are included in this new program.
The rental assistance program began in early spring 2021. The utility assistance program is open for applications as of June 2.
This program is only for low-income renters. All residential and business customers with overdue bills are eligible for the Vermont COVID-19 Arrearage Assistance Program (VCAAP II).
This funding is available to cover rent and utility bills for residential renters who:
- are at or below 80% of area median household income;
- have experienced unemployment, loss/reduction of income, or other financial hardship due to COVID-19;
- and face a risk of homelessness or housing instability.
Renters can receive up to 12 months of assistance for services rendered on or after April 1, 2020. There is a cap of $10,000 on utility benefits.
Landlords can work with eligible tenants to apply for payment of bills that are included in rent.
Renters can apply at erap.vsha.org or call 833-488-3727. A copy of utility bills will need to be submitted.
1. Login/register in the Owner Portal located at: https://verapownerportal.reframeassist.io/#/auth/login
2. Use the exact name on your W-9
3. Enter 9999 as your Tax ID
4. If you have not provided a W9 and direct deposit (ACH) information in the last 12 months, please do so at https://vtutilityhelp.com/
Reviewing Customer Applications
1. Login to the portal at https://vcaaptwoutilityportal.reframeassist.io/#/auth/login
2. Click on the Unit Certifications item in the left hand navigation menu to see a list of customers who have applied for funds.
3. Click on an application and fill in the required information.
5. The VERAP Caseworker will review your request and authorize payments.
Portal Login: https://verapownerportal.reframeassist.io/#/auth/login
Informational letter from DPS: https://vtruralwater.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/VERAP_U_-Informational_Final.docx
Recording of Utility Vendor Training: https://vtutilityhelp.com?wvideo=4xqfn3b68p
VERAP-U Website with FAQs: https://vtutilityhelp.com/
Vermont Emergency Rental Assistance Call Center: 833-488-3727 (833-4VT-ERAP)
Monday – Friday: 8:30am – 7:00pm, Saturday: 9:00am – 1:00pm