Salary: $29.22 – $32.58 Hourly
Regular Full Time Non Exempt
This position is responsible for performing preventative and corrective maintenance at any of the three wastewater treatment plants and pump stations. Also responsible for performing all general tasks involved in maintaining division operations and property.
Union: American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME).
Essential Job Functions
- Assist Chief Operator in maintaining wastewater treatment plant, conventional activated sludge, anaerobic digesters, and chemical precipitation, biological nutrient removal, and storm water treatment.
- Maintain onsite stormwater treatment facility.
- Monitor and record data from wastewater equipment.
- Operate and perform light maintenance on sludge disposal tankers, as well as snow blowers, lawn mowers and other similar equipment.
- Operate pumps, valves, gates, engines and other machinery and equipment while performing maintenance.
- Perform preventative and corrective maintenance on all plant equipment including pump rebuilding, motor maintenance, lubrication, use of inspection equipment, cleaning equipment, and calibration of chemical feed pumps and controls.
- Ability to diagnose abnormalities in complex controls, including programmable logic controllers (PLCs) interface and interlocked control schemes.
- Fill out daily operating sheets, preventative maintenance logs, safety and training logs, and inspection logs.
- Follow written safety compliance procedures including but not limited to Lockout/Tagout and Permit Confined Space entry.
- Compliance with NFPA 70E.
- Observe, report and assist with maintenance or other correction of abnormal conditions within mechanical processes, including safe working conditions.
- Perform building and grounds custodial duties.
- Participate in formalized training courses for fulfillment of state, federal or job requirements.
- Response to emergencies on weekends/evenings expected.
Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements
- Ability to actively support City diversity, equity, and cultural competency efforts within stated job responsibilities and work effectively across diverse cultures and constituencies.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion as evidenced by ongoing trainings and professional development.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required, reasonable accommodations will be considered.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Completion of mechanical or electrical program at a two (2) year technical college and 1 year experience in a wastewater plant performing preventative and corrective maintenance preferred OR three (3) years working in a wastewater plant or similar industrial or production setting, performing preventative and corrective maintenance or a combination of relevant education and experience preferred. Equivalent education, training and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for the position is required.
- Ability to obtain a Grade 1 DM Wastewater certification for the State of Vermont within eighteen (18) months from date of hire required. Higher Grade DM Wastewater certifications are strongly encouraged.
- Previous experience with programmable logic controllers (PLCs) and variable frequency drives (VFDs) preferred.
- Journeyman or Master Electrician preferred.
- Ability to obtain Forklift Operator certification required.
- Demonstrated ability to perform physical aspects of position.
- Valid Vermont State Driver’s license.
- Ability to maintain and evaluate simple records and to interpret blueprints and electrical diagrams.
- Ability to maintain effective work relationships with other staff members.
- Ability to perform electrical and mechanical maintenance.
- Ability to comprehend and carry out written, oral and diagrammatic instructions.
- Ability to diagnose complex abnormalities in mechanical and electrical systems, including chemical dosing pumps and controls.
- Ability to perform ordinary arithmetic calculations involving decimals and fractions.
- Satisfactory completion of training courses in mechanical/electrical maintenance fields required.
- Regular attendance is necessary and is essential to meeting the expectations of job functions.
- Ability to understand and comply with City standards, safety rules and personnel policies.
The City of Burlington is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are strongly committed to creating a dynamic and equitable work-force that mirrors the population and world that we serve. We do not discriminate on the basis of political or religious affiliation, race, color, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, crime victim status, veteran status, disability, HIV positive status, or genetic information in employment or the provision of services.
In addition to being an equal opportunity employer we actively encourage applicants who can contribute to our growing diversity to apply.
Applications for our employment opportunities are only accepted online through our Government Jobs website. Apply at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/burlingtonvt/jobs/3987554/plant-mechanic-wastewater Apply by
5/4/2023 11:59 PM Eastern