Salary: $18.09 – $23.00 Hourly – Temporary Seasonal
This position is responsible for assisting water distribution personnel with the installation, maintenance and repair of the City water main distribution system, service lines and fire hydrants. This position requires the ability to work days up to 40 hours/week with possible overtime available.
Essential Job Functions
- Assist distribution personnel with:
- Winter hydrant maintenance
- Hauling of material during excavation work
- Traffic control
- Installation, repair or replacement of sections of water mains, valves, hydrants or service lines
- Flush/maintain hydrants
- Re-fill and resurface roadways
- Backfilling and landscaping of City green belt and lawn areas
- Other duties that support the distribution team
Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements
- Ability to actively support City diversity, equity, and cultural competency efforts within stated job responsibilities and work effectively across diverse cultures and constituencies.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion as evidenced by ongoing trainings and professional development.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required, reasonable accommodations will be considered.
- Driving experience with a Class B-CDL vehicle preferred.
- Possession of a valid Class B CDL license preferred.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to work in all climates including severe weather conditions.
- Ability to lift up to 60 pounds chest high, frequency 2-3 times daily on average.
- Must be able to operate various hand held tools, including but not limited to: jack hammer, pick and shovel.
- Ability to work effectively with supervisors, peers and subordinates.
- Must be a flexible team player that takes direction well, is safety conscious, customer-oriented, and willing and able to learn to operate all equipment and perform all tasks as assigned.
- Ability to maintain professional appearance while engaging in field work, by refraining from any use of profanity, inappropriate language, or inappropriate behavior required.
- Must be able to work effectively and in a professional manner with crew members and leaders, other divisions and the general public.
- Must learn and follow VOSHA safety rules and regulations.
- Regular attendance is necessary and is essential to meeting the expectations of the job functions.
- Ability to work on nights, holidays and weekends for emergencies is preferred.
- Ability to understand and comply with City standards, safety rules and personnel policies.
Promoting a culture that reveres diversity and equity.
The City of Burlington is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are strongly committed to creating a dynamic and equitable work-force that mirrors the population and world that we serve. We do not discriminate on the basis of political or religious affiliation, race, color, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, crime victim status, veteran status, disability, HIV positive status, or genetic information in employment or the provision of services.
In addition to being an equal opportunity employer we actively encourage applicants who can contribute to our growing diversity to apply.
Applications for our employment opportunities are only accepted online through our Government Jobs website: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/burlingtonvt/jobs/3890138/seasonal-water-construction-worker?keywords=seasonal&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
For accessibility information or alternative formats, please contact Human Resources Department at 802-540-3057 or firstname.lastname@example.org.