July 2024 Flooding

Major rainfall from Hurricane Beryl hit Vermont on July 10, causing flooding and power outages in many communities and impacting water and wastewater facilities. The northern half of Vermont is still under flood warnings or flood watches. Read live updates from Vermont Public here.

Find flood-related information and resources below. This page will be updated as more information becomes available.


Safety Reminders

  • Do not drive or walk on flooded streets. Most flood-related deaths occur in vehicles.
  • Work with at least one other person whenever possible.
  • Tell someone where you are going and how long you plan to be gone.
  • When reentering to a building that flooded, be extra cautious if the electricity hasn’t been shut off. Even if there is no power at the moment, it could suddenly come back on. Do not turn on the circuit breaker or use any electrical devices until the building has been checked by a licensed electrician.
  • Hot and muggy weather is forecasted, so take precaution against heat-related illness by taking frequent breaks and staying hydrated.
  • Exhaustion and stress from long workdays creates additional safety risks, so take extra care with tasks such as driving.
  • Close valves on propane and fuel tanks if possible to minimize risk in case fuel tanks are damaged or dislodged during flooding.
  • If you need to evacuate a flooding building, turn off the circuit breaker if you can do so safely.
  • Wear a face mask, safety goggles, and work gloves to protect from dust and mold when cleaning up after a flood. Email info@vtruralwater.org to request free KN95 masks.
  • If you have come in contact with floodwaters, check that your tetanus shot is up-to-date. If it has been more than 10 years since your last tetanus shot, or if you had any cuts while you were in floodwaters, consider getting a tetanus booster.
  • Natural disasters are traumatic and can trigger emotions like stress, fear, anxiety, and helplessness. For mental health support, call or text 988.
  • Use extra caution when opening emails and clicking links because cyber attacks tend to target communities during emergencies and disasters.
  • Be aware of disaster-related scams like fake contractors.


Flood Levels & Road Closures

Use these sites for up-to-date information:


Boil Water Notices/Do Not Drink Orders

A list of water systems currently under Boil Water or Do Not Drink public notices can be found at https://anrweb.vt.gov/DEC/DWGWP/license.aspx?Report=Boil

Here are forms and information that may be helpful for water systems in this situation:
Boil Water Notice Procedure
Do Not Drink Policy
Boil Water Notice Template
Water Conservation Notice Template
Public Notice Certification Form



The Vermont Water/Wastewater Agency Response Network (VT WARN) allows water and wastewater systems to receive rapid mutual aid from other systems. It is free and voluntary. If your system is not a member, join at vtwarn.org.

If your system needs assistance such as equipment or extra personnel, use this form to submit a request. Systems that provide mutual aid as well as systems that request mutual aid can receive reimbursement from FEMA, but only if they have signed the WARN mutual aid agreement (PDF).


Emergency Response Trailers

Vermont Rural Water and VT WARN have two Emergency Response Trailers that can be deployed  to water and wastewater systems. Click here to view a list of equipment available on the trailers. To request a trailer or a piece of equipment, contact Vermont Rural Water at info@vtruralwater.org or 802-660-44988.


Document Damages

It is very important to document all damage for insurance claims and possible FEMA assistance! Before you start cleaning or repairing anything, take photographs of damage to buildings, equipment, and infrastructure. Write down timelines and notes while it is fresh in your memory, and save receipts. Consider asking volunteers to photograph damage throughout the community (pump stations, culvers, manholes).

During disaster response and recovery, document everything: what you do, staff time (both regular and overtime), equipment use (date, time, and hourly rate), and expenses (save receipts). Documenting the work you do before an inspector arrives is most critical, because they won’t see this damage for themselves. Don’t under-report damages to your insurance company or tell them you can fix it yourself. Emphasize that anything you were able to repair on your own was “emergency work” and may still need a permanent replacement.

Learn more about what FEMA will be looking for (if this event is declared to be eligible for FEMA assistance) in the Applicant’s Guide for Submitting Public Assistance Documents and download the FEMA Public Assistance Checklist.


Emergency Management Director

Your municipality’s Emergency Management Director is the designated person to make requests to Vermont Emergency Management. Even if your system is not municipally owned, aid requests should go through the EMD. Find contact info for your municipality’s EMD at vem.vermont.gov/programs/emd/contact


Last updated 7/11/24, 11:45 am