Agency: City of Burlington, Vermont
Location: Burlington, Vermont
Salary: $25.76 – $28.71 Hourly
Application link: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/burlingtonvt/jobs/3742333/wastewater-plant-assistant-operator-i?keywords=water&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
This position is responsible for assisting in daily plant operations and maintenance duties at various wastewater facilities.
Union: American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME).
For more specific information about this role, the schedule, pay structure, and to get more insight in general, please download an information page here (Download PDF reader).
Essential Job Functions
- Assist operators in process control testing involved with; including but not limited to; pretreatment, primary clarification, activated sludge aeration, final settling, return and waste activated sludge control, chemical precipitation, chlorine disinfections and anaerobic digestion.
- Assist in operations of sludge thickening and dewatering systems by learning to control quantity and quality of solids processing through the use of lab testing, flow measuring devices, control instrumentation and chemical dosage.
- Assist operators in wet-weather operations as necessary and maintain on site storm water treatment facility using suggested Operations & Maintenance Manual Procedures.
- Record data and learn to interpret results of testing.
- Sample wastewater and solids processing streams and learn to perform laboratory analysis.
- Assist in operation and maintenance of laboratory testing equipment.
- Assist in monitoring and recording of meter data from wastewater flows, methane gas, chlorine feed, return and waste activated sludge, and other meters as required.
- May be required to operate sludge tanker truck as applicable. Assist operators in perform preventative and corrective maintenance on all plant equipment and 25 pump stations, including, but not limited to pump rebuilding, motor maintenance, lubrication, use of inspection equipment and cleaning.
- Perform building and grounds custodial duties.
- Required to assist with “On-Call” on an as needed basis.
Non-Essential Job Functions:
- Perform other duties as required.
Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements
- Ability to actively support City diversity, equity, and cultural competency efforts within stated job responsibilities and work effectively across diverse cultures and constituencies.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion as evidenced by ongoing trainings and professional development.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required, reasonable accommodations will be considered.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- One (1) year of water/wastewater treatment plant operating experience preferred, equivalent education, training and experience which provides the aptitude, requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for the position is required. In lieu of experience in water/wastewater treatment preference will be given to those that have a professional license or experience in the trades.
- A Grade 1 Vermont State operator certification must be obtained within 2 years from the date of hire. Higher grade certifications are strongly encouraged.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid Vermont State Driver’s License required.
- Ability to obtain a Commercial Driver’s License Class B with tanker endorsement within 12 months from the date of hire is required.
- Must be a flexible team player that takes direction well, is safety conscious, and willing and able to learn to operate all equipment and perform all tasks as assigned.
- Ability to perform minor mechanical and electrical maintenance.
- Ability to comprehend and carry out written, oral, and diagrammatic instructions required.
- Demonstrated ability to perform physical aspects of position.
- Ability to learn and adhere to VOSHA safety rules and regulations and City safety requirements as they pertain to the Department of Public Works.
- Ability to work with a diverse population with a strong commitment to equity and inclusion, among City staff and the general public.
- Ability to create and maintain an environment that appropriately embraces the 6 operating principles; Customer Service, Fiscal Responsibility, Good Labor Relations, Employee Empowerment, Cooperation and Constant Improvement.
- Ability to work nights and weekends required.
- Regular attendance is necessary and is essential to meeting the expectations of the job functions.
- Ability to understand and comply with City standards, safety rules and personnel policies.
Promoting a culture that reveres diversity and equity.
The City of Burlington is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are strongly committed to creating a dynamic and equitable work-force that mirrors the population and world that we serve. We do not discriminate on the basis of political or religious affiliation, race, color, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, crime victim status, veteran status, disability, HIV positive status, or genetic information in employment or the provision of services.
In addition to being an equal opportunity employer we actively encourage applicants who can contribute to our growing diversity to apply.
Applications for our employment opportunities are only accepted online through our Government Jobs website.
For accessibility information or alternative formats, please contact Human Resources Department at 802-540-3057 or firstname.lastname@example.org.