Salary: $27.00 – $30.09 Hourly
Location: Burlington, VT
Job Type: Regular Full Time Non Exempt
Job Number: 0428-19-004
This position is responsible for all activities in the water distribution system. This includes installing, maintaining and repairing the City water main distribution system, domestic and commercial service connections and fire hydrants. In addition, may be required to support the Meter Field Crew as assigned.
Build a great career with the City of Burlington! Additional monetary benefits include an annual clothing allowance ($425), protective garment ($75), footwear ($300), and a wellness bonus ($400). We also have extremely low medical insurance deductibles, FREE Dental, life insurance, Pension retirement plan, short-term disability, four weeks of paid FMLA, two weeks of paid vacation, 14 City Holidays, a separate sick bank (capped at 15 days), onsite workout facility, discounts at local shops, the ability to convert OT into additional time off, and much more! All these great benefits equal a potential total compensation package of over $77,000/year, not including what you could earn in Overtime pay.
Union Affiliation: American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME).
Essential Job Functions
• Receive daily work schedule from Water Distribution Working Foreman directing job activities, tasks and specific instructions; load required equipment, tools, materials etc., and safely complete tasks according to schedule.
• Respond to emergency call outs as directed including but limited to suspected water leaks and main breaks. In the event of a confirmed break, begin process of shutting down isolating valves immediately.
• Re-fill and resurface roadways.
• Install, maintain, repair or replace sections of water mains, valves or domestic and commercial water service connections as scheduled, in a manner in accordance with American Water Works Association (AWWA) standards.
• Install, maintain, repair or replace fire hydrants; re-surface ground area; maintain free access to hydrants by clearing debris, shoveling or plowing accumulated snow, flush, pump and flow test fire hydrants as necessary.
• Ensure a safe work area for all projects assigned.
• Inspect new water lines laid by contractors for conformance to departmental and State regulations and standards.
• Gather asset information for the various categories of infrastructures, signs, hydrants, making use of hand-held computer and GPS receiver.
• Locate, expose and raise or lower road and gate boxes as directed for Street Division paving projects.
• Respond to Dig-Safe notifications as assigned and identify all water supply lines according to departmental protocol.
• Maintain assigned vehicle and equipment in proper working order, keep required equipment, tools, materials & supplies on vehicle as needed.
• Plow City streets and sidewalks with the street division in accordance with the provisions of the Union contract.
• Perform backfilling and landscaping of City green belt and lawn areas.
• Act as “Ambassador” for the City, carrying out work and interacting with co-workers and the public in a respectful, professional manner.
• Comply with all departmental safety policies, protocols and procedures and OSHA regulations, including but not limited to ensuring a safe work area, wearing appropriate Personal Protective Equipment, and stopping work if there is any question of safety.
• Attend safety and professional development trainings as required.
• May be required to assist the Metering Field Crew with routine metering work as necessary as assigned by the Distribution Field Crew Manager.
• Provide on-call coverage as assigned including nights, weekends and holidays.
More Information & Application