Salary: $25.76 – $28.71 Hourly, Regular Full Time Non Exempt
This position is responsible for all activities in the water distribution system. This includes installing, maintaining, and repairing the City water main distribution system, domestic and commercial service connections, and fire hydrants. In addition, may be required to support the Meter Field Crew as assigned.
Union: American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME).
Essential Job Functions
- Receive daily work schedule from Water Distribution Working Foreman directing job activities, tasks, and specific instructions; load required equipment, tools, materials etc., and safely complete tasks according to schedule.
- Respond to emergency call outs as directed including but limited to suspected water leaks and main breaks. In the event of a confirmed break, begin process of shutting down isolating valves immediately.
- Re-fill and resurface roadways.
- Install, maintain, repair or replace sections of water mains, valves or domestic and commercial water service connections as scheduled, in a manner in accordance with American Water Works Association (AWWA) standards.
- Install, maintain, repair or replace fire hydrants; re-surface ground area; maintain free access to hydrants by clearing debris, shoveling or plowing accumulated snow, flush, pump and flow test fire hydrants as necessary.
- Ensure a safe work area for all projects assigned.
- Inspect new water lines laid by contractors for conformance to departmental and State regulations and standards.
- Gather asset information for the various categories of infrastructures, signs, hydrants, making use of hand-held computer and GPS receiver.
- Locate, expose and raise or lower road and gate boxes as directed for Street Division paving projects.
- Respond to Dig-Safe notifications as assigned and identify all water supply lines according to departmental protocol.
- Maintain assigned vehicle and equipment in proper working order, keep required equipment, tools, materials & supplies on vehicle as needed.
- Plow City streets and sidewalks with the street division in accordance with the provisions of the Union contract.
- Perform backfilling and landscaping of City green belt and lawn areas.
- Act as “Ambassador” for the City, carrying out work and interacting with co-workers and the public in a respectful, professional manner.
- Comply with all departmental safety policies, protocols and procedures and OSHA regulations, including but not limited to ensuring a safe work area, wearing appropriate Personal Protective Equipment, and stopping work if there is any question of safety.
- Attend safety and professional development trainings as required.
- May be required to assist the Metering Field Crew with routine metering work as necessary as assigned by the Water Distribution Field Manager.
- Provide on-call coverage as assigned including nights, weekends and holidays.
Non-Essential Job Functions:
- Performs other duties as required.
Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements
- Ability to actively support City diversity, equity, and cultural competency efforts within stated job responsibilities and work effectively across diverse cultures and constituencies.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion as evidenced by ongoing trainings and professional development.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required, reasonable accommodations will be considered.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- One (1) year previous experience in underground water construction or other underground construction preferred.
- Vermont State Operator Classification, Class D or equivalent required or the ability to obtain certification within one (1) year of date of hire required.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of the internal works of plumbing and fixtures with residential and commercial properties preferred.
- Ability to read and understand blue prints to identify and locate water shut-offs, and water lines.
- Training in construction equipment and tool use and their related safety practices required.
- Possession of a Commercial Driver’s License Class B at time of application, but must obtain and maintain a Commercial Driver’s License Class A within the probationary period of the position required.
- Ability to learn City water distribution system and connectors, including but not limited to: locating underground service lines such as gas and power supply, principles of water pressure and hydraulic engineering, good safety practices, etc.
- Physical ability to perform manual labor required for water distribution work (see chart below).
- Ability to safely operate various hand held tools, including but not limited to: jack hammer, pick and shovel.
- Previous backhoe operation experience preferred.
- Ability to climb ladders in and out of trench excavations.
- Ability to work in confined spaces required.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions required.
- Work on after-hours, nights, holidays and weekends and on call as required.
- Flexible team player that takes direction well, is safety conscious, customer-oriented, and willing and able to learn to operate all equipment and perform all tasks as assigned.
- Ability to create and maintain an environment that appropriately embraces the 6 operating principles: Customer Service, Fiscal Responsibility, Good Labor Relations, Employee Empowerment, Cooperation and Constant Improvement.
- Ability to work effectively and in a professional manner with crew members and leaders, other divisions and the general public.
- Ability to learn and maintain VOSHA safety rules and regulations as they pertain to the Department of Public Works.
- Regular and timely attendance is necessary and is essential to meeting the expectations of the job functions.
- Ability to understand and comply with City standards, safety rules and personnel policies and Chapter 31 of the City ordinance.
Promoting a culture that reveres diversity and equity.
The City of Burlington is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are strongly committed to creating a dynamic and equitable work-force that mirrors the population and world that we serve. We do not discriminate on the basis of political or religious affiliation, race, color, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, crime victim status, veteran status, disability, HIV positive status, or genetic information in employment or the provision of services.
In addition to being an equal opportunity employer we actively encourage applicants who can contribute to our growing diversity to apply.
Applications for our employment opportunities are only accepted online through our Government Jobs website at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/burlingtonvt/jobs/3893101/water-distribution-field-technician?keywords=Water%20&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
For accessibility information or alternative formats, please contact Human Resources Department at 802-540-3057 or firstname.lastname@example.org.