Salary: $24.28 – $27.05 Hourly
Regular Full Time Non Exempt
The Customer Care Associate I for Water Resources is responsible for executing all daily functions related to utility billing and the provision of excellent customer service for water, wastewater & stormwater.
Union: American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME).
Essential Job Functions
- Maintain a high level of professionalism and work to establish a positive rapport with each customer when communicating by phone, email, in person or on social media
- Responsible for ensuring all Water Resources accounts are billed and payments are received according to schedule. This includes generating invoices, executing adjustments, creating penalty and service termination notices and compiling monthly sales & adjustment reports.
- Process and post all customer payments received via mail, in person, online or transfer file to utility billing software. Ensure payment batches balance and prepare deposits.
- Evaluate accounts flagged on monthly meter reading exception reports and request verifications or site visits as appropriate.
- Coordinate with Field Services to maintain the schedule for site visits related to meter repairs, replacements, installations, service estimates, flow tests and customer requests for troubleshooting.
- Process account change requests including final meter readings, tenant & property manager authorizations, automatic debit authorizations and mailing address updates.
- Responsible for handling the full range of Customer Care account requests including, but not limited to, consumption, billing, payment and rate history information, negotiation of payment agreements, interest waivers and service disconnection dates, and explanation of policies and requirements for general utility services, adding or changing account users, updating financial information or receiving account credits for abnormal usage.
- Notify customers of pending service termination for nonpayment and coordinate termination action according to Burlington City Ordinances.
- Provide information about the Water Resources Assistance Program to customers and help them evaluate which rebates, discounts, or efficiency programs they are eligible for.
- Review all completed meter asset changes to ensure accuracy.
- Process invalid payments tendered via check, credit card or automatic debit and notifies customer to ensure collection.
- Review impervious surface definitions, calculations and generate coverage map for customers with questions about their stormwater user fee.
- Create, monitor and update requests for service and/or information in the City’s asset management and request for service software as appropriate per departmental policy.
- Responsible for providing customer education, outreach and response during emergency main repairs and planned capital improvements according to DPW’s Public Engagement Plan, Burlington City Ordinance and other related policies.
- Implement public outreach content on City’s website and social media platforms regarding hydrant flushing, private fire sprinkler flushing, rate changes, consumer confidence report and special events.
- Act as a liaison between residents and the City’s insurance company for claims reporting and assist in the collection and reporting of facts from Water Resources employees.
- Maintain office and billing supply inventories and re-orders as needed.
- Create monthly schedule for regular workflow according to Burlington City Ordinance and departmental policy.
- Evaluate resident inquiries unrelated to Water Resources and provide contact information for appropriate City department.
- Process all interdepartmental and incoming mail as appropriate and bring outgoing mail to the post office.
- Represent Water Resources at community events to promote departmental initiatives and programs.
- Provide support to others in Water Resources as assigned.
Non-Essential Job Functions:
- Performs other duties as required.
Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements
- Ability to actively support City diversity, equity, and cultural competency efforts within stated job responsibilities and work effectively across diverse cultures and constituencies.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion as evidenced by ongoing trainings and professional development.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required, reasonable accommodations will be considered.
- High School Diploma or equivalent and two (2) years of customer service experience in an office environment that included direct customer interaction.
- Experience with a utility preferred.
- Ability to learn and understand basic technical/engineering concepts related to meter technology and installation, water supply and subsurface water resources utilities.
- Ability to interact with customers and other members of the public in a courteous and professional manner at all times.
- Ability to be work in a Windows based computer environment with database, spreadsheet and word processing software.
- Ability to learn all aspects of the Water Resources customer information system(s).
- Ability to work effectively both independently and with coworkers as part of Customer Care and other teams.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently while remaining detail oriented.
- Ability to post data and make rapid, accurate mathematical calculations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and a strong customer service orientation are essential.
- Ability to use the internet and social media effectively.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment.
- Regular attendance is necessary and essential to meeting the expectations of the job functions.
- Ability to create and maintain an environment that embraces the 6 departmental operating principles; Customer Service, Fiscal Responsibility, Good Labor Relations, Employee Empowerment, Cooperation and Constant Improvement.
- Ability to understand and comply with City standards, safety rules and personnel policies.
The City of Burlington is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are strongly committed to creating a dynamic and equitable work-force that mirrors the population and world that we serve. We do not discriminate on the basis of political or religious affiliation, race, color, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, crime victim status, veteran status, disability, HIV positive status, or genetic information in employment or the provision of services.
In addition to being an equal opportunity employer we actively encourage applicants who can contribute to our growing diversity to apply.
Applications for our employment opportunities are only accepted online through our Government Jobs website. Apply at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/burlingtonvt/jobs/3998350/customer-care-associate-i Apply by 5/11/2023 11:59 PM Eastern