Ben & Jerry’s is looking for a Chief Operator for our dairy process wastewater treatment system
Location: Waterbury, VT
1st shift: 7:00 am – 3:30 pm
Background & Purpose of the Job
Ben & Jerry’s produces super premium ice cream known for its high quality and unique add-ins ranging from large chunks of bakery items, chocolate, nuts, sauces and candy pieces, all with their own quirky memorable names.
We make the best possible ice cream in the nicest way possible. It takes a variety of people and disciplines to deliver a taste bud-boggling odyssey great enough to take you all the way to the state of euphoria.
Our Vermont Manufacturing team is currently looking for a Wastewater Coordinator to support our Waterbury factory to operate and maintain the Wastewater Pretreatment Facility and sludge processing program to ensure their safe, reliable and exceptional operation.
Who You Are & What You’ll Do
- Successfully operate and maintain the 30,000 gallons per day Pretreatment Facility consisting of pH adjustment, DAF, aerated lagoons, and related treatment components.
- Oversee the overall system including, pump stations, piping and 4” high strength dairy waste force main.
- Work closely, report issues, and give feedback to production, mix and maintenance department supervisors concerning waste/volume issues.
- Communicate, coordinate, and work closely with maintenance department on preventative maintenance activities, equipment replacement and operational emergencies as they arise.
- Maintain a log of operations and record meter and gauge readings.
- Manage and monitor State and local permits/ordinances in conjunction with the Environmental, Health and Safety team to ensure compliance. These include: Stormwater, Direct Discharge Wastewater, Residuals Management, Indirect Discharge/Agriculture Dept. (high strength dairy waste), hazardous and nonhazardous waste management, DOT and Underground Storage Tank.
- Collect samples and conduct permit required laboratory analysis on a daily, weekly, and quarterly basis. Including but not limited to temperature, pH, dissolved oxygen, TSS, BOD and Total phosphorus.
- Perform annual laboratory analysis of independent blind samples.
- Maintain positive working relationships with Town, State and Federal representatives and coordinate/facilitate regulatory inspections.
- Provide budget and capital project information to Maintenance supervisor.
- Monitor and manage staff wastewater educational opportunities/requirements as needed.
In addition there will be exposure to allergens such as dairy, eggs, tree nuts, coconut, peanuts, wheat (gluten), soybean and cinnamon.
What You’ll Need To Succeed
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent. (REQUIRED)
- Ability to successfully pass the Industrial Dairy II exam within six months of hiring and obtaining Industrial Dairy II license within one year of hiring. Complete the Sacramento course for Treatment of Industrial Wastewater within 1 year
- Experience and understanding of treatment, testing, reporting, and discharging of wastewater and sludge processing.
- Computer knowledge and aptitude of Microsoft Office Programs such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Teams.
- Availability for emergencies and staff coverage.
- Work safely and independently applying Unilever Safety and best working practices in ever day functions.
- Working with dairy waste
- Using and handling chemicals used to treat the wastewater
- Applicant must be able to operate a small boat and swim
- Working around retention ponds, including sludge depth inspection and removal
- Ability to maneuver heavy items such as pumps and chemical drums in a safe manner
- Ability to work safely with hazardous chemicals
- Ability to tolerate unpleasant odors and grease/waste associated with dairy wastewater
Employment is subject to verification of pre-employment drug-screening results and background investigation.
- These are direct hires, full time position with a full benefits package (medical, dental, vision, 401K, profit sharing, tuition/fitness reimbursement, paid leaves, Qrtly Bonus payouts, etc.)
- 3 FREE pints of ice cream daily / Vermont Attractions Discounts / Patagonia & PrAna Partnership discounts
- Benefits are effective the first day of hire (where applicable)
- Uniforms and PPE provided by the company
- COVID protocol/guidelines enforced
Unilever is an organization committed to diversity and inclusion to drive our business results and create a better future every day for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or other applicable legally protected characteristics by federal, state, or local law. For more information, please see Equal Employment Opportunity Posters
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Persons with Disabilities
Employment is subject to verification of pre-screening tests, which may include drug screening, background check, credit check and DMV check.
If you are an individual with a disability in need of assistance at any time during our recruitment process, please contact us at NA.Accommodations@unilever.com. Please note: This email is reserved for individuals with disabilities in need of assistance and is not a means of inquiry about positions or application statuses.