Salary: $27.41 – $30.55 Hourly
Regular Full Time Non Exempt
The Senior Customer Care Associate for Water Resources is responsible for leading all daily functions related to utility billing and the provision of excellent customer service for water, wastewater & stormwater, including but not limited to troubleshooting account issues and providing technical assistance to customers. This position executes specialty billings, account maintenance and projects, in addition to directing and monitoring the work of the Customer Care Associate I positions. In collaboration with division technical and planning staff, the position leads customer education and outreach and provides administrative support on Chapter 26 and 31 ordinance compliance activities. Additionally, the position is responsible for administrative support and the execution of special tasks and projects for the Director of Finance & Administration and executive support for the Division Director.
Union: American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME).
Essential Job Functions
Team Lead Functions
- Direct, coordinate and monitor the work of the Customer Care Associate I positions.
- Assist the Director of Finance & Administration with planning and arranging of training opportunities for the Customer Care Associate I positions.
- Assist in the hiring processes for the Customer Care and Metering Teams including but not limited to screening, scheduling, interviewing and recommending applicants.
- Responsible for evaluating the effectiveness of current billing and office equipment, making recommendations to the Director of Finance & Administration and then coordinating upgrades through proper procurement procedures.
- Track success rates of Customer Care & Meter Management key performance indicators and recommends strategies for improvement.
- Coordinate with the Director of Finance & Administration, then lead the development of, updates to and ongoing maintenance of administrative and workflow Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Assist the Director of Finance & Administration in creating, updating and maintaining departmental policies related to utility billing, revenue assurance and customer care.
- Responsible for ensuring all technical information about water, sewer or stormwater outages and disruptions is communicated to and understood by Customer Care Associate I positions and other departmental stakeholders.
Billing and Customer Care Functions
- Required to perform all essential tasks of the Customer Care Associate I position, as needed. Include executing all daily functions related to utility billing and the provision of excellent customer service for water, wastewater & stormwater.
- Maintain a high level of professionalism and works to establish a positive rapport with each customer when communicating by phone, email, in person or on social media.
- Provide the initial review of customer concerns and account troubleshooting issues not fully addressed by Customer Care Associates and coordinate any further needed action with the Director of Finance & Administration.
- Responsible for executing specialty billings and surcharges related to Field Service work, sludge, septage and leachate disposal and the industrial pretreatment program.
- Responsible for making accurate and timely updates to meter assets including new installations, removals and meter or endpoint replacements, including review of meter inspection and installation electronic forms.
- Coordinate the proper distribution and posting of electronic payments received by the Cash and Banking Accountant.
- Review active delinquencies and initiate lien procedures in accordance with departmental policy.
- Manage and balance petty cash funds for Water Resources and ensure reimbursements adhere to departmental policy.
- Review and approve all register voids processed by subordinates.
- Process all bankruptcies notifications in accordance with Federal Law and ensure collection when possible.
Public Outreach and Ordinance Compliance Administrative Support
- Collaborate with the Water Resources Policy and Program Manager, then lead development and maintenance of general water, wastewater and stormwater public outreach and customer technical assistance content for City’s website and social media platforms.
- Collaborate with Engineering staff and Director of Finance & Administration and then lead the outreach and education efforts for ongoing capital improvements.
- Represent Water Resources at community events to promote departmental initiatives and programs.
- Collaborate with Water Resources Technical and Planning Team, then lead Customer notification and compliance tracking support for annual backflow testing requirements, Fats, Rags, Oils and Grease (FROG) issues, industrial pollution prevention and other Burlington City Chapter 26 and Chapter 31 Ordinance requirements.
Executive Support and Execution of Special Tasks
- Provide executive support to the Division Director as requested (e.g., meeting logistics, phone & email response, document organization).
- Provide administrative support and manage special projects as assigned by the Director of Finance & Administration.
- Evaluate and void parking meter violations submitted by Water Resources employees according to departmental policy for offsite meetings.
- Update employee vehicle database as necessary and arranges for the issuance of new parking passes and return of existing passes.
- Monitor and re-order office and billing supply inventory.
Non-Essential Job Functions:
- Performs other duties as required.
Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements
- Ability to actively support City diversity, equity, and cultural competency efforts within stated job responsibilities and work effectively across diverse cultures and constituencies.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion as evidenced by ongoing trainings and professional development.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required, reasonable accommodations will be considered.
- Associates Degree in accounting, business administration or other relevant area and three (3) years of customer service and billing or accounting experience required. Additional years of customer service, billing or accounting experience may be substituted for the degree requirement on a two (2) years for one (1) basis.
- One year of team lead or supervisory experience required.
- Demonstrated experience with customer accounts management and direct customer contact is required.
- Prior experience with utility billing functions is strongly preferred.
- Proven ability to learn, understand and explain intermediate technical/engineering concepts as related to meter technology and installation, water supply and subsurface water resources utilities.
- Proven ability to learn, understand and explain federal, state and municipal regulations, statutes, ordinances and policies.
- Ability to interact with customers and other members of the public in a courteous and professional manner at all times.
- Ability to be proficient in a Windows based computer environment with database, spreadsheet and word processing software.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, a strong customer service orientation and demonstrated team building skills are essential.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and with coworkers as part of Customer Care and other teams.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently while remaining detail oriented.
- Ability to meet deadlines while working with minimal supervision.
- Ability to post data and make rapid, accurate mathematical calculations.
- Ability to use the internet and social media effectively and responsibly.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment.
- Regular attendance is necessary and essential to meeting the expectations of the job functions.
- Ability to create and maintain an environment that embraces the 6 departmental operating principles; Customer Service, Fiscal Responsibility, Good Labor Relations, Employee Empowerment, Cooperation and Constant Improvement.
- Ability to understand and comply with City standards, safety rules and personnel policies.
Promoting a culture that reveres diversity and equity.
The City of Burlington is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are strongly committed to creating a dynamic and equitable work-force that mirrors the population and world that we serve. We do not discriminate on the basis of political or religious affiliation, race, color, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, crime victim status, veteran status, disability, HIV positive status, or genetic information in employment or the provision of services.
In addition to being an equal opportunity employer we actively encourage applicants who can contribute to our growing diversity to apply.
For accessibility information or alternative formats, please contact Human Resources Department at 802-540-3057 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications for our employment opportunities are only accepted online through our Government Jobs website. Apply at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/burlingtonvt/jobs/3817388/sr-customer-care-associate Apply by 4/21/2023 12:00 AM Eastern