Agency: City of Burlington, Vermont
Location: Burlington, Vermont
Salary: $29.22 – $32.58 Hourly
Application link: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/burlingtonvt/jobs/3742226/plant-operator-water?keywords=water&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
This position is responsible for the daily operation and maintenance of the Water treatment facility.
Union: American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME)
Essential Job Functions
- Perform process control testing, including but not limited to, chlorine residual, fluoride, turbidity, pH, bacteriological, and PO4 testing.
- Monitor and operate the water treatment process using charts, graphs, electrical indicators, laboratory water testing, visual inspections, and (SCADA) Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition.
- Monitor, calculate, and adjust water and chemical dosage controls and indicators.
- Record operational and adjustment procedures and calculations.
- Conduct routine inspections, including but not limited to, checking pumps, motors, chemical feed pumps, chemical make-up systems for proper lubrication, and adjustment and operation.
- Collect routine bacteriological samples as scheduled by Chief Operator.
- Monitor chemical storage tank levels and day tanks.
- Follow security procedures, including but not limited to, locking points of entry, checking alarm systems, monitor surveillance cameras identifying and reporting security problems.
- Follow appropriate safety precautions as outlined in the DPW safety manual and in accordance with (SDS) Safety Data Sheets.
- Receive and unload deliveries of chemicals.
- Identify and perform minor mechanical repairs and report major repairs to the Plant Mechanics or Chief Operator; assist Plant Mechanics in repair and maintenance projects.
- Prepare and log data into daily filter and operation reports, including but not limited to, computer data entry, manual report forms.
- Receive and respond to customer inquiries as appropriate.
- Dispatch the Troubleshooter after hours as necessary.
- Clean and maintain assigned area of the water plant.
- May be required to participate in “On-Call Coverage”.
Non-Essential Job Functions:
- Performs other duties as required.
Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements
- Ability to work with a diverse population with a strong commitment to equity and inclusion, among City staff and the general public.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion as evidenced by ongoing trainings and professional development.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required, reasonable accommodations will be considered.
- High School diploma or equivalent and one (1) year of water/wastewater treatment plant operating experience preferred.
- Vermont State Operator Classification, Grade 4C or equivalent required or the ability to obtain above certification within one and one-half (1.5) years of date of hire required.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid Vermont State driver’s license required.
- Ability to work various and rotating shifts, including weekends and holidays required.
- Ability to work alone and with others required.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with other staff members.
- Ability to perform minor mechanical and electrical maintenance.
- Ability to comprehend and carry out written, oral, and diagrammatic instructions required.
- Ability to understand relevant physical, chemical, electrical, and microbiological principles required.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations required.
- Ability to work in confined spaces required.
- Regular attendance is necessary and is essential to meeting the expectations of the job functions.
- Ability to understand and comply with City standards, safety rules and personnel policies.
Promoting a culture that reveres diversity and equity.
The City of Burlington is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are strongly committed to creating a dynamic and equitable work-force that mirrors the population and world that we serve. We do not discriminate on the basis of political or religious affiliation, race, color, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, crime victim status, veteran status, disability, HIV positive status, or genetic information in employment or the provision of services.
In addition to being an equal opportunity employer we actively encourage applicants who can contribute to our growing diversity to apply.
Applications for our employment opportunities are only accepted online through our Government Jobs website.
For accessibility information or alternative formats, please contact Human Resources Department at 802-540-3057 or email@example.com