Agency: City of Burlington, Vermont
Location: Burlington, Vermont
Salary: $29.22 – $32.58 Hourly
Application link: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/burlingtonvt/jobs/3654430/plant-mechanic-water?keywords=water&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
This position is responsible for performing electrical and mechanical maintenance and repairs on a variety of controls, receivers, transmitters, computers and process indicators to maintain the water treatment plant and remote pump stations. In addition, this position is responsible for performing the duties of a water plant operator.
Union: American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME)
For more specific information about this role, the schedule, pay structure, and to get more insight in general, please download an information page here (Download PDF reader).
Essential Job Functions
- Troubleshoot and repair instrumentation, including but not limited to, repair or replace all electronic and mechanical instruments used in chemical dosages, monitoring flows, starting and stopping pumps, set alarm points, calibrate transmitters, receivers and recorders, etc.
- Repair and rebuild all rotating equipment; maintain large pumps (up to 500 h.p.), diesel pump, diesel electric unit, vacuum pumps, blowers, air compressors, large electric valves, and chemical feed pumps, as well as a variety of other equipment such as ventilators, heating systems, dehumidifiers and air conditioners.
- Repair and maintain electrical equipment such as wire in new pumps, new alarm points, and remote switches; troubleshoot, alter, repair and replace parts such as relays and brakes.
- Check and maintain reservoir and high service tanks, including but not limited to, inspect tanks and record readings, inspect pumps, piping, buildings, grounds, and uninterrupted power supply and make repairs, etc.
- Change, add, or delete parts of the computer program in the three process computers; may write new programs as necessary.
- Serve as Plant Operator simultaneously performing Plant Mechanic duties.
- Schedule equipment runs; record elapsed time reading and schedule pumps, blowers, and chemical feed pumps for even time distribution and maintenance.
- Maintain parts and supplies; order parts, stock and inventory.
- Develop, implement and/or maintain computerized preventative maintenance program for all plant and offsite equipment.
- Brief Plant Operators on any problems or special situations which affect operation of plant.
- Recommend design changes in the water plant.
- Provide technical expertise to consultants, engineers and contractors on large scale plant changes and new systems.
- Schedule factory representatives’ visits; schedule systems and special projects to be worked on or experimented with in conjunction with factory service personnel.
- Attend training programs to keep skills and knowledge current with improvements and changes in plant equipment.
- May be required to participate in “On-Call Coverage”.
Non-Essential Job Functions:
- Performs other duties as required.
Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements
- Ability to actively support City diversity, equity, and cultural competency efforts within stated job responsibilities and work effectively across diverse cultures and constituencies.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion as evidenced by ongoing trainings and professional development.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required, reasonable accommodations will be considered.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Completion of mechanical or electrical program at a two (2) year technical college and 1 (one) year experience in a water plant performing preventative and corrective maintenance preferred OR three (3) years working in a water plant or similar industrial or production setting, performing preventative and corrective maintenance or a combination of relevant education and experience preferred. Equivalent education, training and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for the position is required.
- Vermont State Operator Classification, Grade 4C or equivalent required or the ability to obtain above certification within one and one-half (1.5) years of date of hire required.
- Previous experience with programmable logic controllers (PLCs) and variable frequency (VFDs) preferred.
- Journeyman electrician license preferred.
- Ability to work rotating shifts, including weekends and holidays required.
- Working knowledge of electrical systems repair and maintenance.
- Ability to troubleshoot and repair water plant and pump station mechanical and electrical problems.
- Ability to assume Water Plant Operator duties required.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid VT driver’s license required.
- Ability to operate varied equipment such as test equipment, computers, welders, torches, drill press and grinders, etc, required.
- Ability to maintain effective work relationships with other staff members.
- Demonstrated ability to perform physical aspects of position.
- Ability to obtain Forklift Operator certification required.
- Respond to emergencies on weekends/evenings required.
- Regular attendance is necessary and is essential to meeting the expectations of the job functions.
- Ability to understand and comply with City standards, safety rules and personnel policies.
Promoting a culture that reveres diversity and equity.
The City of Burlington is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are strongly committed to creating a dynamic and equitable work-force that mirrors the population and world that we serve. We do not discriminate on the basis of political or religious affiliation, race, color, national origin, place of birth, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, crime victim status, veteran status, disability, HIV positive status, or genetic information in employment or the provision of services.
In addition to being an equal opportunity employer we actively encourage applicants who can contribute to our growing diversity to apply.
Applications for our employment opportunities are only accepted online through our Government Jobs website.
For accessibility information or alternative formats, please contact Human Resources Department at 802-540-3057 or email@example.com.